Wednesday, July 2, 2008

So the self-frickafracklization of the meta-yittayattanism and the...

I know, I know... I promised that I'd write a long, scholarly rant about the Hemingway.  And I will if I ever muster up the effort.  This post just asks: have you guys started the Nietzsche, and if so, what do you think?  I've been reading it during my downtime at work, and I just finished the first two essays.  I've never read anything by him in great detail or depth, and I must say that I'm surprised in a couple ways.  A) It's more readable than I remembered/expected and B) It's more interesting than I remembered/expected.  I find myself going about my day and thinking about master and slave morality, and ressentiment (can't forget about ressentiment).  I don't know, I just find it to be the first piece of philosophy that I've actually read with zeal.  Needless to say, Kant and Hobbes and Hume didn't foster much zeal in me...

Please lemme know what you guys think when you get a chance.  Hope things are going well.

4 comments:

Claire said...

I have read part of the preface. I was going to start! I was. But I was lazy and started The Unbearable Lightness of Being first and then I couldn't stop reading it and I know I wasn't supposed to read it FIRST, but oh well.


Look! ^ I used html tags!

John said...

m'amie claire, nous t'aime.
(that's my crude french sentence to appease you and maybe exclude dana if she doesn't know really basic things about romance languages... i tried)

i think it's okay to read either first. i actually think it's probably better to read it first and ease your mind into the philosophy... get all the 'fun ideas' stirring... I've feel like I've already done that for Nietzsche to a certain extent with the dostoevsky that i've read, so that's how i've justified not reading the kundera. i'm about to go to B&N, so if I find a reasonably priced copy i'll consider buying it. you guys both seem to like it at least.

Claire said...

Sorry, John, it's MON amie, no contractions of the possessive pronouns. I'm glad to hear the Nietzsche will be okay, once I indubitably get around to reading it.

John said...

dammit. i originally HAD 'mon ami' but remembered it's different for women and changed it... too much. Oh well.

AND i just finished genealogy of morals at barnes & noble, and bought unbearable lightness of being despite it not being on sale at all... I read a few pages and it seems worth it (plus the floating hat on the cover looks really cool... i'll admit that played a small role).

also, eternal recurrence doesn't really come up in genealogy of morals, so they don't overlap that much. there are still a lot of really interesting things though (I especially liked nietzsche's criticism of christian morality). I don't really know how to discuss philosophy in any type of original way, though... PHI 202 didn't foster enough enthusiasm in me to develop such skills...